DANCIN’ ON THE ASTRAL PLANE
by Josh Hurst
Or: Favorites of 2017, a quarter of the way in.
“Surely a monthly log of worthy new releases is something I can maintain,” I wrote back in February– yet here we are, with me overdue for a March round-up but insufficient time on my hands to do my favorite recent releases any justice.
I’ll make it up to you, I swear– possibly with a mid-April round-up, or maybe just with an epic post at month’s end.
For now, and since it’s About That Time anyway, let me offer some quick recommendations… ten favorites from the year, a quarter of the way into it.
- The Order of Time, Valerie June
- Close Ties, Rodney Crowell
- Windy City, Alison Krauss
- Mental Illness, Aimee Mann
- Hot Thoughts, Spoon
- Stitch of Time, Tift Merritt
- Run the Jewels 3, Run the Jewels
- Freedom Highway, Rhiannon Giddens
- Semper Femina, Laura Marling
- Natural Conclusion, Rose Cousins